Now this is putting down the gauntlet! There have been a lot of “quality of life” surveys in the press recently, putting Britain in the Top 10 places in the world to live. Some even placed Britain at number 5. Number 5? How can that be?
Blimey! – Here are the top 10 reasons Britain is the best place in the world to live. This list has been scientifically proved to be 100% accurate by a team of dedicated British scientists who were carefully fed small sliced cucumber sandwiches and copious amounts of tea.
1. Public Transport – You don’t have to drive everywhere in the UK. Hop on a train, the underground or a bus. We even have pavements (sidewalks) in Britain, so people can actually walk!
2. BBC – I have some friends in America that pay over $150 per MONTH on their cable TV bill. Imagine paying about $200 for a whole year of amazing BBC documentaries, shows, trashy soaps and radio programmes? The UK television licence is an absolute bargain.
3. The NHS (National Health Service) – Far from perfect, true, but getting free at the point of delivery healthcare for everyone in the UK is incredible. Nobody goes bankrupt from medical bills in Britain. In America, it’s the biggest cause of personal bankruptcy.
4. Cheaper Supermarket Food – I’m always shocked when I return home for visits, how cheap the supermarket food is in Britain. Coffee that costs $8 in the USA can cost $2 in the UK. Milk, $1 while in America $4.
5. Greater Arts funding – The arts in general are far more respected in Britain and in the rest of Europe than America, and receive much more funding from the public purse.
6. British Humour – Without a doubt, the most influential comedy has come from Britain. Apart from Mr Bean. Sorry about that.
7. Minimum Wage and Employment rights – Workers have much more protection in the EU. Mandatory holiday pay when starting a job (4 weeks paid for full time, 2 weeks part time), higher minimum wage than America, controls on how you can be fired etc.
8. History – I lived in a flat once from the 1700s. It was a bit rubbish and had mould, but it was great to live in “history”. From Stonehenge (2600BC) to the Tower of London (1078AD). History is everywhere around you in Britain.
9. Pubs – Great pubs. Great pub food. Most without noisy TVs showing American football 24/7.
10. Location, Location, Location – Jump on the chunnel, go see Paris. Quick flights to Germany, Austria, Spain and more. If you love travel and great food, being that side of the globe is a huge advantage. Then you can return home to Britain when you’re done, put the fire on, have a cup of tea and plan your next adventure!